28 Jan 2014

How to clean your make-up brushes

How to clean your make-up brushes

Sigma recently released their Sigma spa™ brush cleaning glove that retails for $35 (€25.43 not including shipping), although I love my make-up and my brushes I couldn't justify spending that type of money on a silicone glove! I was also getting really tired of washing my brushes in the palm of my hand and than having the skin on my hand dry out and start to crack. So I made my way to the local €2 shop and picked myself up a silicone oven glove! And I can tell you it has been a god send! No more dry, cracked palms for me!

So let's get into how I wash my brushes,

Tools:
Oven glove
Any type of shampoo
A bowl or small container
Warm water

I start by putting some of the shampoo into the container as it makes it easier and means you don't have to keep picking up the bottle to put some on your brushes. If you have antibacterial soap you can also add a few drops of that to the container or if your brushes are a little dry and scratchy you can add a few drops of olive oil or coconut oil to help soften and moisturise them.


Put on your glove and slightly dampen the brush in warm water (don't use hot water as this can loosen the glue holding the bristles of the brush together and cause your brushes to shed).

Dip your brush into the shampoo and start to scrub your brush against the glove. My glove has ridges on it which help to get in between the bristles of the brush for a better clean. Once it starts to produce a lather and you can see the make-up breaking down you can rinse it under the water! Much the same a washing your own hair. Remember don't let the water go beyond the metal shaft holding the bristles together and the handle as this can cause the handle to come away from the brush head over time.

Once all your brushes are washed lay them flat on a clean towel to air dry. This can be overnight or longer depending on the thickness of the bristles.

Happy cleaning!!

Love

Jenstaromakeup
             xoxo


1 comment:

  1. Such a great idea-a proper brush clean while protecting your hands.. I'm off to the €2 shop tomorrow :-) Noelle

    ReplyDelete